There is no getting around the fact that making ice cream at home without an ice cream maker is going to be more difficult at the best of times. When it comes to making ice cream with an ice cream maker, people just need to prepare the baseline ingredients, loading them into the ice cream maker. There are more steps involved for the people who are trying to skip the steps involved with using an ice cream maker. Still, lots of people have been able to do this. This was also the default manner in which ice cream was made for a long time, and people can certainly resurrect some of the older ice cream making traditions if that is what they want. There are lots of benefits to doing it all this way.
Necessary Tools For Making Ice Cream at Home Without an Ice Cream Maker
People need to have an ice bath ready for this process. They are also going to need to have a large and working freezer. They will need a stainless steel bowl or pan and a whisk or spatula at different points during the process. This will give people all of the tools that they need in order to successfully make their homemade ice cream without the benefit of an ice cream maker. This is going to be tougher, since people will constantly have to keep checking on how the ice cream is doing. This is not the sort of baking that people can do idly, since it is going to need their constant attention. However, people are still going to have an easier time when it comes to making something like this compared to a lot of other baking creations.
People will need all of the other initial ingredients for their ice cream, including milk, cream, and sugar, as well as the flavorings that they might use for their ice cream at that point. Most of this process is going to involve getting the ice cream texture just right, however, as opposed to making sure that all of the ingredients have been mixed together correctly at initial stages.
Making Ice Cream at Home Without an Ice Cream Maker
- First, people can start by mixing all of the basic ice cream ingredients in a way that would be similar for the people who were planning on using an ice cream machine anyway. All of the milk, sugar, and cream can be added and stirred together by this point.
- People can then use an ice bath as a surface for chilling the entire mixture in a way that is going to be simple and straightforward.
- Some people might want to freeze a stainless steel bowl or pan in advance, and other people are just going to go about freezing the stainless steel bowl or pan by this point in the process.
- Transfer the initial mixture of ice cream ingredients into the cold stainless steel pan.
- Keep everything chilled for around twenty minutes or so, checking the ice cream all the while.
- When the sides of the ice cream start to freeze, it is a good idea to use a spatula or a whisk in order to stop everything from clumping together at this stage. Over beating the ice cream is not a good idea at this point in time. Once everything is mixed and stirred, it is time to take it back to the freezer.
- Every half an hour or so, stir the ice cream with a great deal of energy until it is really strongly frozen. Often times, people are going to need to be able to do this for around four or five occasions in order to get this right and to get the texture right.
- If the ice cream starts to become too hard, it is time to just let it rest in the fridge in order to soften it up slightly, and then people can start to repeat the process again.
- It is a good idea to let the ice cream ripen in order to get it at the peak flavor. Storing it in the freezer in a covered container that is safe for the freezer will usually work well in this case.